The OSHA Training Center at Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is spotlighting upcoming occupational safety and health courses designed to draw attention to hazards associated with OSHA’s most frequently cited standards. The Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration publishes its annual Top Ten list of the most frequently cited standards following inspections of worksites to alert employers and workers to be proactive in identifying and correcting the most common workplace hazards.
Julia Dozier, Director of the OSHA Training Center, notes the high incidence of preventable injuries and illnesses in the workplace. While the OSHA Training Center curriculum is designed to help employers maintain full compliance with OSHA regulations, the Center’s primary objective is to provide occupational safety and health training to help eliminate or greatly reduce the risks associated with common and preventable workplace hazards.
The Top 10 list of most frequently cited standards and number of violations resulting from inspections of worksites by federal OSHA for Fiscal 2013 (Oct. 1, 2012 to Sept. 30, 2013) includes:
- Fall Protection (8,241)
- Hazard Communication (6,156)
- Scaffolding (5,423)
- Respiratory Protection (3,879)
- Electrical, Wiring Methods (3,452)
- Powered Industrial Trucks (3,340)
- Ladders (3,311)
- Lockout/Tagout (3,254)
- Electrical, General Requirements (2,745)
- Machine Guarding (2,701)
Upcoming OSHA Training Center courses that address some of OSHA’s most frequently cited standards include:
- Fall Hazard Awareness for the Construction Industry – OSHA 7405
- Fall Arrest Systems – OSHA 3115
- Health Hazard Awareness – OSHA 7205
- Scaffolding Safety Standards – OTC 301
- Electrical Standards – OSHA 3095
- Public Warehousing and Storage – OSHA 7005 (offered free of charge at the Pacific Coast Safety Fest)
- Lockout/Tagout – OSHA 7115
- Machinery and Machine Guarding Standards – OSHA 2045
The OSHA Training Center also offers OSHA Standards for the Construction Industry – OSHA 510, OSHA Standards for General Industry – OSHA 511 and a wide array of training programs that address not only OSHA’s Top 10 most frequent violations but also the full range of safety and health standards vital to a safe and healthy workplace. Programs offered include OSHA safety standards, Outreach Trainer courses, Cal/OSHA standards curriculum, environmental courses and customized onsite safety training. For more information, including a complete course schedule, visit www.osha4you.com or call (866) 936-OSHA (6742).