A revision to the Cal/OSHA Pocket Guide to the Construction Industry was announced on 12/16/15, including regulatory updates in the following areas:
- Structure erection and construction – 1710
- Forklifts – 3650
- Hazard Communication – 5194
- Heat Illness Prevention – 3395
- Lockout/Blockout Procedures – 3314
- Personal Protective Equipment – 1514, 3380, 3384
The Cal/OSHA Pocket Guide is available from the OSHA Training Center for $10/each. For more information call (866) 936-OSHA (6742) or email [email protected].
In other news Cal/OSHA released an update on their enforcement goals (per their 5-Year Strategic Plan):
- Targeting the Mobile Workforce – Construction – preventing leading causes of injuries and illnesses from 1) falls, 2) electrocution, 3) struck-by, and 4) crushed by/caught between. Cal/OSHA inspectors will be looking at these when on construction sites.
- High Hazard Unit is one of six regional units within Cal/OSHA and targets inspections using DART rates. The only construction NAICS code is for framing contractors. The High Hazard unit generally conducts ~ 200 inspections each year.
- Heat Illness Prevention – Cal/OSHA will conduct approximately 2,300 inspections coded for HIP each year to ensure HIP programs are up-to-date and consistent with the revisions effective 5/1/15.